Sydney Theatre Company is calling for submissions for the Emerging Writers Group, an initiative aimed specifically at emerging playwrights with the objective of supporting professional development and expanding the skill sets, artistic vision and networks of the group.
The group of four emerging writers will meet regularly throughout the two year program (May 2021 to May 2023) and will receive mentorship from STC’s Literary Manager and Resident Artists, including the Patrick White Playwrights Fellow. They will also attend performances of STC shows, observe rehearsals, read plays together and have a shared desk at STC.
The program is structured into three blocks:
- Skills and Craft Block (9 months): workshops and master classes with STC staff and industry professionals
- Script Development Block (1 year): develop a script with STC Literary Manager and Resident Artists
- Showcase Block (3 months): industry showcase, observership on an STC production
Note: the work developed in the Script Development Block does not constitute an STC commission (see Terms & Conditions).
The successful four writers will be given a small honorarium for each year they participate.
The program is open to emerging writers who are able to commit to regularly commute to performances and meetings at STC’s office in Walsh Bay, Sydney.
We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTI+) people.
To apply, please use the below submission form and attach the following:
- A CV, including any writing experience
- A 12-15 page script sample (this should showcase your best dramatic writing for stage and may include introductory notes for context)
- A statement telling us about your playwriting and why you wish to be considered for the program (no more than 400 words)
Entries for the Emerging Writers Group close 5pm AEDT Thu 08 Apr 2021.
We may request additional material (such as a more substantial writing sample) or invite you to interview.
Terms and Conditions apply.
For any further information about the program, please email email@example.com with any questions or queries.
2019 - 2021
2017 - 2019
STC acknowledges the Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund for supporting this project