THE SCHOOL DRAMA BOOK: DRAMA, LITERATURE AND LITERACY IN THE CREATIVE CLASSROOM
"We always hoped that this program would become a national phenomenon, and perhaps this book can facilitate something akin to that." Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton, former Artistic Directors of STC
The School Drama Book: Drama, Literature and Literacy in the Creative Classroom, by Professor Robyn Ewing AM and John Nicholas Saunders, was developed in response to the requests of teachers across Australia.
The book is essential reading for teachers and theatre practitioners who want to educate confidently with drama. It uses drama as a critical pedagogy, and encourages learning through activities, rather than teaching ‘about’ the texts. This approach has been shown to develop rich imaginations and creative capacities for the future.
The book is a comprehensive drama and literacy resource. It includes:
- A summary of how drama and literature enhance literacy
- An explanation of the School Drama approach and methodology
- Learning outcomes from the School Drama program so far
- Exploration of the art and pedagogy of drama (via elements, devices, and roles)
- 22 classroom dramas: each comprised of a series of workshops that progress through common themes and texts.
PURCHASE THE BOOK
To purchase the book, visit Currency Press.