In the lead-up to the Marriage Equality plebiscite, STC has joined a number of organisations around Australia in supporting the ‘Yes’ vote for Marriage Equality. We've added our open letter of support to australianmarriageequality.org's campaign which you can read below.
Find out more about what you can do to support Marriage Equality.
AN OPEN LETTER FROM NON PROFIT ORGANISATIONS IN SUPPORT OF MARRIAGE EQUALITY IN AUSTRALIA
As a cultural organisation, Sydney Theatre Company want all Australians to be treated equally. We support marriage equality.
We recognise the right of our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) employees, artists, volunteers, customers and broader community to live and work free of prejudice and discrimination. This includes the right to marry the partner of their choice, and to enjoy the legal safeguards and entitlements that come with marriage –entitlements that are currently not available to LGBTQI people who are a substantial cross-section of our Australian community.
Globally, over twenty countries have passed laws to allow same-sex marriage, including countries that are culturally similar to ours, like New Zealand, the United States of America, Canada and Great Britain. These countries did so with lower support for marriage equality than Australia is seeing right now.
Research confirms that support for marriage equality is at its highest level ever. A recent survey from Crosby/Textor, one of Australia's leading social research companies, shows that 72% of Australians believe same-sex couples should be allowed to marry. The survey showed majority support in every demographic. Of the remaining 28%, only 14% strongly opposed the proposition. Culturally the change has already taken place.
On 22 May 2015, the Republic of Ireland held a referendum to sanction same sex marriage. A 'Yes' vote was supported by the Government, all major political parties and the voters themselves. On 26 June 2015, the Supreme Court of the United States returned a judgement in favour of legalising same sex marriage across all 50 states. These two events see Australia isolated among countries with English as a first language.
Equality under the law is a fundamental Australian right, and legalising same-sex marriage is the right thing to do. We believe every Australian has the right to happiness.
Sydney Theatre Company supports marriage equality.