It’s April, 1984, in London, Oceania – a totalitarian state that routinely spies on its citizenry (“Big Brother is Watching You”, as the posters in Oceania put it).
Winston Smith, who works at the Ministry of Truth, has decided to take a drastic step; he is going to write a diary. If this act were to be discovered, Winston would likely be executed – Big Brother is always watching.
This synopsis is part of the program for 1984, which also features:
- a note from Artistic Director Kip Williams
- an essay on the contemporary relevance of 1984 and notes on the new production
- a glossary of newspeak, the official language of Oceania
- biographies and photos of the cast and crew
- photos from the production
- and much more!
Pick one up at the theatre for only $10
1984, 28 Jun – 22 Jul 2017, Roslyn Packer Theatre
Seeing the show? Let us know your thoughts. Tag @sydneytheatreco and #STC1984