Launched in 2010, the Patrick White Playwrights Fellowship was established as a way of remembering the great writer Patrick White and recognising the importance of the playwright to Australian theatre culture.
The Fellowship exists to honour an established writer for her or his body of work, rather than for a single script. It is an acknowledgement of excellence which also provides a writer with an opportunity to continue to progress their career.
Awarded annually to a writer whose work has been produced professionally in Australia in the last four years, the prize consists of a total prize package of $25,000 which includes a year-long Fellowship in recognition of their excellent body of work, and a commission to write a new play.
The Patrick White Playwrights Fellowship winner will be announced at an event in May 2019.
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Be committed to and passionate about new Australian writing.
- Have had a play produced professionally in Australia within the last four years.
- Have had at least two professional productions produced in Australia.
- Be an experienced playwright whose career would benefit from receiving the Fellowship.
- Be prepared to accept and fulfil a commission worth $15,000 as part of their prize as well as the nominal duties outlined below.
During the year of the Fellowship (April 2020 to May 2021), the Fellow will:
- Undertake a mentorship role with Sydney Theatre Company’s Emerging Writers Group. The details and commitments of the mentor role will be agreed between the successful Fellow and Sydney Theatre Company.
- If specifically required to do so, attend STC events (e.g. opening nights).
- Work with the Literary Manager to develop a commissioned play to be considered for programming in March 2021.
View the full terms and conditions
Applications for the 2019 Patrick White Playwrights Fellowship have now closed. The winner will be announced in April 2020.
Enquiries: (02) 9250 1700 or firstname.lastname@example.org